What causes depression?
Research suggests that this psychiatric condition may be caused by a number of factors that include:
Experiencing distressing life events
1. Experience traumatic events during childhood.
2. Be the victim of abuse and / or neglect.
3. Have a family history of depression or other psychiatric problems.
4. Personal history of other mental health conditions.
5. Suffer from chronic medical conditions such as cancer.
Type of depression
1. Severe depression:
characterized by deep feelings of hopelessness, losing the ability to experience joy, no longer finds pleasure in things he once enjoyed, an inability to function on a day-to-day basis and even experience suicidal thoughts
2. Severe depression with psychotic symptoms:
Characterized by experiencing severe depression symptoms along with psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations (hearing / seeing things that are not real) and / or delusions (irrational beliefs)
3. Mild / moderate depression:
It is characterized by symptoms similar to severe depression, but these are less extreme.
It is characterized by a prolonged low mood that can last several years, but is not serious enough to affect daily functioning
5. Bipolar depression:
Experienced by people who have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder; characterized by symptoms similar to severe depression, while also accompanied by episodes of hyperactivity and euphoria
6. Recurring depression:
characterized by repeated depressive episodes, but without indication of bipolar depression
Read more here 👉🏾
Video credits to B. Minds YouTube channel